Michael Kiruti – Partner
Michael Kiruti is a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) graduate of the University of Nairobi and specialises in the area of banking and finance.
Michael has an unrivalled knowledge of the banking industry in Kenya having acted for many of the leading and midsized banks in Kenya over the last fifteen years including:
*Barclays Bank of Kenya;
*Guardian Bank ;
*Commercial Bank of Africa; and
*Giro Commercial Bank
Michael has also gained extensive experience in corporate and commercial (including Mergers and Acquisition), property (conveyance and leasing) and intellectual property law having acted for some leading companies in Kenya including:
* Homegrown (Kenya) Limited, the country’s leading exporter of horticultural produce;
* Kenswitch Limited, which manages the country’s only shared ATM network utilized by over fifteen banks
* Kuehne + Nagel Limited, an international cargo handling and logistics firm;
* Property Development & Management Limited, a leading property development company;
* Carlton Products (E.A) Limited a leading consumer goods manufacturer; and
* Afsat Communications Limited, the country’s premier VSAT and internet service provider.
Some of Michael’s notable engagements in the past include:
* Acting for one of Kenya leading banks in a multi-jurisdiction lending transaction;
* Acting for the PTA Bank in a cross boarder lending transaction;
* Acting in the acquisition of a large venture capital funded agricultural company by a UK based corporation (including undertaking legal due diligence);
* Acting in the acquisition and onward sale of a local radio station;
* Acting in a joint venture between a local manufacturing company, a venture capital fund and a Spain based multinational;
* Acting in negotiations (including undertaking legal due diligence) for the proposed purchase of a local hotel chain by local and offshore investors; and
* Advising on the legal aspects (including drafting of contracts) of setting up the country’s only shared ATM network utilized by over fifteen banks.
Up to December 2003 Michael was a Partner with the erstwhile firm of Kapila Anjarwalla & Khanna, Advocates then one of the leading law firms in the country.
Michael continues to work on on-going projects and advisory work for a wide range of bank and finance clients and companies operating in various fields.